Dr. Oz Clarifies His Confusing ‘2 to 3 Percent’ Coronavirus Comment: It Was Never My Intention

Dr. Oz Clarifies His Confusing '2 to 3 Percent' Coronavirus Comment: It Was Never My Intention
Instagram

The host of ‘The Dr. Oz Show’ admits he misspoke after upsetting many with his statement that people should consider reopening schools amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

AceShowbizDr. Mehmet Oz is owning up to his major slip of the tongue. Finding himself in hot water after confusing many with his “2 to 3 percent” coronavirus comment during a guest appearance on Fox News, the host of “The Dr. Oz Show” was quick to offer clarification to his words.

Posting a video on his Instagram account, the 59-year-old health expert publicly acknowledged his error. “I’ve realized my comments and risks around opening schools have confused and upset people, which was never my intention,” he said in the clip he uploaded on Thursday, April 16. “I misspoke.”

“As a heart surgeon, I spent my career fighting to save lives in the operating room by minimizing risks,” the celebrity cardiothoracic surgeon went on explaining. “At the same time, I’m being asked constantly ‘How will we be able to get people back to our normal lives?’ “

“To do that, one of the important steps will be figuring out how we get our children safely back to school,” he stated. “We know for many kids, school is a place of security, nutrition and learning that is missing right now. These are issue we are all wrestling with, and I will continue looking for solutions to beat this virus.”

Earlier in the day, Dr. Oz made an appearance on Fox News’ “Hannity“. When discussing with host Sean Hannity about what it will take to reopen the country, the TV personality said, “Schools are a very appetizing opportunity. I just saw a nice piece in The Lancet arguing the opening of schools may only cost us 2 to 3 percent, in terms of total mortality.”

“And, you know, any life is a life lost,” he went on elaborating his statement. “But to get every child back into a school where they’re safely being educated, being fed and making the most out of their lives – with a theoretical risk on the back side, that might be a trade-off some folks would consider.”

Weeks earlier on April 8, an article was published by The Lancet about a model study that “school closures alone will reduce COVID-19 deaths by only 2 – 4 percent” in the United Kingdom. It went on to note that “with over 90 percent of the world’s students currently out of education, it’s clear that the greatest threats from COVID-19 to children and adolescents lie outside the clinic.”

You can share this post!

Next article

Jim Edmonds Quarantining Together With Former Threesome Partner Kortnie O’Connor

Related Posts