George Miller, director of the 2015 post-apocalyptic movie, confirms that he is moving ahead with a stand-alone movie about the action film’s heroine, who is made popular by Charlize Theron.
- May 15, 2020
AceShowbiz – A “Mad Max: Fury Road” sequel may never be happening, but it doesn’t mean that there won’t be another “Mad Max” movie from George Miller. Speaking with The New York Times about the production of the 2015 movie for a new oral history, the director confirms rumors that he has been working on a prequel centering on Furiosa.
However, those who are expecting Charlize Theron to return as the fan-favorite heroine have to be prepared to be disappointed a little. According to the site, the Oscar-winning actress will not return for the prequel, since the story will follow a young Furiosa, who will be played by an actress in her 20s.
The “Mad Max” prequel may be coming in the not-so-distant future as Miller says that he expects to begin making the Furiosa film after he completes drama film “Three Thousand Years of Longing“, starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. The project was supposed to start shooting this spring, but it was delayed after coronavirus pandemic shut down all Hollywood productions.
“So after we finish it, and hopefully everything settles down with the pandemic, we’ll see what the world allows us to do with Furiosa,” Miller says.
Miller adds that he and co-writer Nick Lathouris were conceiving extensive backstory for the heroine as well as other characters during the years they were working on “Fury Road”. “It was purely a way of helping Charlize and explaining it to ourselves,” he shares.
They found Furiosa’s story so compelling that they decided to write a second screenplay even before a frame of “Fury Road” had been shot. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who played Splendid, one of the “Fury Road” wives, was lucky enough to have got a chance to read it. “I got to read it when I was cast,” she says, before gushing, “It’s genius. I’ve always wondered if that movie’s going to get made.”
After being locked in a legal battle for years, Miller says he has been given the go-ahead to proceed. On the decision to recast the role with a younger actress, the director explains, “For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don’t think we’re nearly there yet.”
Cuba Gooding Jr. Tries to Lift Spirit of Anaheim Nurses Battling COVID-19 With Sweet Serenade